DIY Floating Vinyl Record Shelves Redbubble/Matt Simner. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. If you’re looking for something smaller, I’ve also drawn up the plans for a 6-Cubby version , which will hold about 250 records total. A homemade, “DIY” vinyl storage cabinet is a solid conversation piece. You can download the plans by clicking the image below. Paint your first layer of varnish. If you don’t want to overlap your record, this might limit how many you can store facing out at once, but it’s the perfect option if you want to see the album cover art and store your vinyls at the same time. You can paint or stain the wooden crates any color and even stencil letters on them to spell out a word or keep your vinyls in alphabetical order in multiple crates. But in the end, you will be left with a place to keep your vinyl records safe and preserved. Like your track hold you down as well. The stand is the perfect size to place your record player and keep your albums organized in the 4 lower cubbies or keep your favorites at the Top in the large upper cubby. Pat (housemate) picked out a nice Sansui P-50 from Classic HiFi in Newtown up the road. Mapleshade (Record Shelf System) . Building another project for our home. Same drill as before, where you’ll be really careful with any drips and lose brush hairs. DIY LP Record Storage Box ON WHEELS; 7. Fine sandpaper. May 9, 2020 - Explore Makayla X's board "Record Storage Inspo" on Pinterest. Passion. …. Mar 11, 2017 - Every record collection deserves a home! We offer custom finishes, so you can have the perfect matching vinyl stand for your home or music room. This is essential for a final, polished look. You can paint or stain the wooden crates any color and even stencil letters on them to spell out a word or keep your vinyls in alphabetical order in multiple crates. Plus, with these DIY vinyl storage solutions, you can also have easy access to your vinyl records to listen to as you see fit. 2. A wooden crate might seem like the more obvious solution to housing your vinyl records, but the possibilities are almost endless with this way of storing your collection. 2 victrola wooden stand for wooden music centers Why waste valuable storage space on your pc or phone when you can store your documents and media in the cloud and share it across devices?The above floating vinyl record shelves that you can easily diy using ikea ribba picture ledges like matt simner. Carry your handy-work inside and set it up somewhere that all of your vinyl-collecting friends will be sure to see, and be jealous of. What is becoming more and more apparent, is that a new release will be pressed to a limited run of vinyls, which include a digital voucher of the CD, as well as regular digital distribution. Vinyl records have been making a massive comeback over the past few years. 7. Framing your records is a stylish way to add color to your wall, and the frames are easy to find at most stores: Target, Urban Outfitters, and Amazon carry different styles. 6 Pack Acrylic Album Record Holder,Display Your Daily Listening in Style Office Home. See more ideas about record storage, vinyl storage, vinyl record storage. Their vinyl storage cabinets, called LP Record Racks, are hand made from solid Birch Plywood with Birch Wood Veneer Edging, and are not only built for storing your records, but engineered to last. DIY craft projects. If you’re already pretty handy with simple power tools and have a creative nature, it’s not too hard to figure out how to store your vinyl records without spending an arm and a leg. This particular shelf is available to buy on Etsy, but there’s no reason to suggest you couldn’t make something similar yourself. FREE Shipping by Amazon. For our two vinyl record boxes, here are the measurements: If you’re lucky, you’ll get all of the measurements cut to size and the friendly guy working at Bunnings won’t charge you for it. Whip out that sanding block that I mentioned earlier and sand up the wood until it is nice and smooth using either 240 or 320 grade paper. All in all, very simple. Finally, Pat and I went back to Classic HiFi and picked out a pair of nice sounding Dali Speakers. If a vinyl is pressed from a digital recording it could be from a 24 bit wav file. So I learnt a few lessons along the way. Slow and steady, my friends. After the pilot holes are all made, get a larger drill bit and drill into the wood just a little bit to be sure that the head of the screw won’t stick out at all. All of which I’ll share with you. Drill in screws as before and use as many as you feel you need. Creative DIY CD and DVD Storage Ideas or Solutions. 10. Well done! Even if you don’t have a huge vinyl collection, you might still want a way to display the few records you do have. Check out this article for some info: http://phys.org/news/2016-07-music-vinyl-cds.html .. Sam. My name’s Katie and I built Common Cents Mom to share what I care about most: building a better home, family, and life for me and my loved ones. DIY LP Record Storage Box ON WHEELS; 6. Don’t be shy about being forceful when squaring up the corners with the boards. Pick out the type of wood that you want to use. A wooden crate might seem like the more obvious solution to housing your vinyl records, but the possibilities are almost endless with this way of storing your collection. The records did not fit into the crates with their protective plastic sleeves. The 2-shelf vinyl record storage unit is the ideal solution for LP record enthusiasts, but don’t let its name dissuade you from finding other uses for it. However, it didn’t work out. 99. 4. You’ll need this. In my opinion, that isn’t too bad at all. But in some cases, what fun is having this collection if you can’t keep it out for the world to see and admire? Once the top and sides are all screwed in, attach the panel supports on the back. It’s Not Just Decoration, 13 Car Cleaning Hacks To Help You Detail It For So Much Less, 7 Tire Swing Ideas And How To Make One Yourself. record player. You can either use a wooden box you already have or use some plywood to create your own, Then, attach some wheels on the bottom and enjoy a vinyl storage box on wheels that can be pushed around the room. Get it as soon as Wed, Dec 23. Record Player Stand with Storage Shelf Wood Look Industrial End Table MDF Board with Metal Frame, Brown. So off we went to get a vinyl player. We bring you 20 DIY interesting ideas how to re-purpose your LP records. Plus, since it’s not mounted or screwed into the wall, you can put the shelf and move the shelf anywhere. It uses 30mm pine wood with a walnut varnish and has 2 strips of wood on the bottom and one on the top to allow it to be stacked. Using a drill bit around the same size as the screw, drill in accordingly. 3. The big slab of ply that we picked out was $89 from Bunnings. I collect vinyl records and I use the IKEA KALLAX as a vinyl record storage cabinet. 11. While this particular wooden cube shell can be found on Etsy, it also seems like a relatively easy to make storage solution for your vinyl record collection. I’m curious whether the sound quality will be all that better. After the first coat is all dry on both sides, time to get sanding again. Simple And Classy Ways To Store Your Vinyl Record Collection; 10. diy project record crates – Design Sponge; 11. As cheap as ply is, it warps fairly easily. So if it’s the woody-texture that you’re after, ply is no good. Our picks for the best vinyl record storage furniture, cabinets, boxes, stands, and displays to enhance your home decor and proudly display the art for your favorite records. All you need is an vinyl record and an old clock mechanism. 6. 5. 2. drill along the wood where you have previously marked using a 1cm wood bit (make sure the drill bit is the same thickness as the dowel you are using or the pieces won't fit later.) Here, I’ll put up all of the measurements that I came up with and detail the experience that I had in making this basic storage solution. There is always the off chance that a shelf or storage option could topple over, leaving your collection is a scattered mess on the floor. DIY vinyl record storage; 9. I like the way record stores display their records on top, covers facing forward, so you can quickly flip through the records … Here is where I decided to start laying the drying wood against the wall on an angle. Featuring record storage solutions from Flipbin, Prather Made, IKEA, CB2, Aero, Urban Outfitters, Crosley, and more! There’s room for 30-odd records here, making it the ideal vinyl record storage for beginners, as well as for seasoned collectors looking for a way to cart their wax around. Premium Vinyl Record Storage - a Mid-Century Style Record Holder, 50 LP Capacity - with a Now-Playing Record Display Groove It’s a simple shelf and when made with just enough space to fit vinyl records comfortably, you can fit a lot of them in it. It might be a little hard to find the right legs, but they truly make it one of a kind. Make sure you stir the tin before you begin. This cabinet is designed specifically to store vinyl records, which means its dimensions and materials are optimized to preserve the quality and performance of vinyl records no matter how old they are. You might not want it to be mobile, but if you want a different look to your vinyl storage option, this option offers an easy way to relax on the floor while going through your vinyls and listening to one at the same time. Having an extensive DVD library can provide you and your family with hours of exciting entertainment, but all of those discs can take up a lot of space. Best set it up on an angle like you’ll see a bit lower. So he lent me his Sansui 555a on a permanent basis. Sure, you will have to plan out your project carefully and do more work yourself than simply buying a few pre-made shelves. I’ll warn you, I’m no expert. If you feel like taking on a project, there’s a whole host of potential record storage options throughout IKEA’s portfolio. Better yet, get an electric sander. A LP record … It’s made of perforated steel shaped like a half cube and can hold up to 70 records. Vinyl record clock. © 2020 Common Cents Mom. All it takes are some carefully measures and connected wooden slats to make a secure home for your vinyls that also leaves all sides open so you can still see the album covers and spines with ease. See more ideas about vinyl record storage, record storage, vinyl. Cut the wood to size. Again, I personally prefer vinyl. A slab that is a sufficient size for your project. All finished! $26.99 $ 26. Vinyl record storage stand and display in a classic flip forward browsing design. Post: A Preview Mix, Gig Reflections and Travel Plans, Post: Live Newsagency footage and some Cover Gig listings, 7 Best Resources For DIY Vinyl Album Storage, Diy Vinyl Record Storage | Bellisima Oldbuck, http://phys.org/news/2016-07-music-vinyl-cds.html. Vinyl Record Storage DIY; 4. Get it as soon as Wed, Dec 23. 5. Oct 8, 2019 - Need a chic way to store and display your vinyl record collection? As expected, I returned home with an assortment of great records picked up at various Brooklyn flea markets. give the holes a rub with sandpaper to smooth. record player stand. Magical, meaningful items you can’t find anywhere else. Sitting the top or bottom panels above the sides, estimate some good spots to screw in and mark them with a pencil. Except for one thing. Some people prefer to keep their vinyl collections store safely in boxes. After scouring the internet for worthwhile vinyl storage solutions, we decided to go basic and collect a bunch of plastic milk crates. For me, I was happy with two layers of varnish. simple vinyl record storage white oak with walnut feet holds about 70 records 14 1/4X 14 1/4X 14 1/4 plus the feet. My own research has also lead me to the conclusion that varnish is no good on ply. They also look great. This bad boy certainly takes a little muscle to build yourself, but once you get the hang of it, you can make multiple units to store your entire collection. Case in point: the above floating vinyl record shelves that you can easily DIY using IKEA RIBBA picture ledges like Matt Simner. Shelves, racks, boxes, cases, crates and stands, from DIY projects to artisan furniture. It contains several sets of record shelf plans (for variations on the shelf itself) as well as more detailed instructions. The tangible, physical value of vinyl over CDs, in addition to the superior listening experience that a good home setup carries over digital audio is more than enough of a reason for this. Small footprint for maximum storage and organization. So after sanding, I commenced the fun part – puting it together! My dad is an electrical engineer and he happens to have lots of nice gear just ‘lying around’. For this, all you need is wood the length of how long you want your vinyl shelf to be. Much recommended, so long as the base is on about 45degrees to the floor. ‘If you want something done right, do it yourself.’ And so far, I’ve yet to find any DIY vinyl storage solutions that are simple, cheap and long-term. It is shaped like a cube, but a little wider to allow for more records + browsing space. Time to get sanding! All you need are some metal milk crates and supplies from your local hardware store to make your new favorite piece of furniture. For this, all you need is a large sheet of plywood and the right measurements. This one you can make yourself using a Besta shelf from Ikea. A storage solution for small spaces that can double as seating when you need it? Each shelf holds 150 LPs and you simply add extra units using the sturdy interlocking mechanism. The best floorspace-saving vinyl record storage solution is one that takes up no floorspace at all. This DIY record cabinet allows you to keep your favorite music on display and can be put together in an afternoon. Addsfly Rocks Vinyl Record Storage-Single Unit Support 50 PC’s of Record-Premium Quality Wood in Black Color-Record Holder in 14" Long Solid Wood with Transparent Glass (Black, 50 LP) 5.0 out of 5 stars 1. If anyone else decides to make something similar, please let me know so I can see how it looks! 3.9 out of 5 stars 510. 8. DIY vinyl record storage @burkatron. If the mastering is done correctly the vinyl will be superior to the CD. But if you're just looking for an easy way to spruce up a shelf, you can try painting the backing or the bottom for a pop of color. It holds 800 (yes, you read that right!) They are inexpensive, look and work great but they have a limitation. You can use your choice of wood and a table saw to put together this single record stand. If you’d rather see all of your vinyl records at once, you can make this long mounted display shelf. DIY craft projects. This piece fits on top of Kallax four compartment. Integrated carry handles Holds between 40 – 75 albums Finished in solid wood Fire-branded with the iconic Crosley logo Dimensions: 13.75″ (W) x 12.25″ (H) x 18″ (D). Yes, please. Once the internal shelves are removed, vinyl records … CDs are from 16 bit files and are lower quality. Feel free to use my design in any way that you wish that isn’t aimed at commercial gain. An important note: If you do frame your records, take out the vinyl and store it elsewhere, as it can be warped if the frame is too tight.Also, if possible, avoid framing valuable records as the sleeve can get sun damaged. I’ve managed to make a set of quality boxes for less than $120 with less than a day’s solid work if you don’t count all of the time spent waiting for the varnish to dry. REMEMBER: SAND WITH THE GRAIN. The medium brown woodgrain laminated particleboard and MDF offer a strong build while the mid century inspired Black metal hairpin legs add a fun, retro look. $74.99 $ 74. The racks come unfinished, ready to be stained or painted, or for an additional fee they can be customized with veneer in the color and finish of your choice. Paint one side, let it dry and paint the other. And so I am lead to writing this post. This is the part where you have to be the most patient. record console. don't drill through the wood and aim to keep the depth of each hole the same. This DIY vinyl record storage display features 8 separate cubbies that will hold about 350 records total. Nice one.Thanks for this-Going to give this a try! And, in some cases, it’s also cheaper. Record Stand I’ve managed to make a set of quality boxes for less than $120 with less than a day’s solid work if you don’t … 8. So after working for a short time with my housemate’s grandma’s basic 90’s Kenwood vinyl setup, we both decided that it would be a sound investment to buy some more expensive gear and do this thing for real. Jen Woodhouse shows you how to build a DIY Vinyl Record Storage Cabinet Display. While I was really exciting about the prospect of delving into the wonderful world of vinyl, I also knew that it would mean the beginnings of a very expensive and addictive hobby… No, not hobby. If you're a serious record collector, this is the storage unit for you. Mine was 900x2100mm. When you set it up to dry, I would recommend against lying it flat on the newspaper like I did. Don’t forget to subscribe to the newsletter here. To me, this makes perfect sense except for the whole “recorded in digital, pressed to analog” thing. Cheers Kyle. Price: $75 – $210 per shelf, depending on finish Capacity: 150 LPs per shelf Like Wax Stacks, the advantage of these solid oak shelves is that they’re expandable as your collection grows. Regardless of how big your collection is or if you plan on expanding it any time soon, these are some of the best and most approachable DIY vinyl storage solutions out there right now. Don’t rush it by slapping a whole bunch on the wood at a time. A few weeks later, the vinyl collection was getting a little out of hand. Find and save ideas about vinyl record storage on Pinterest. And unless you get anything thicker than 16mm, it might not be sturdy enough. Record cabinet (1,354 Results) record storage. Fits All Standard Records – 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM Holds 30 Albums Perfect for Your Treasured Record Collection Gray, 1SFA (VSC-20-GRY). on January 14, 2014January 14, 2014. And since it’s such a small storage solution, you can easily make more than one to hang on the same wall. 8G x 50mm Timber Screws – 50 pack will be sufficient. 15. On the back, it has to planks of ply that run over the top and bottom with the aim of added extra strength and squaring the box up to proper 90 degree angles. Best record storage. Take a look at these clever DIY CD and DVD storage ideas for housing your DVD collection but out of sight. I used Walnut Satin. I made a mistake and got some sandpaper that was too course. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Enjoy! The things you need for this one are plywood and hairpin legs. Sanding block. Stain & Varnish – Pick a colour that you like. I think the one that I used was about 3mm. A console is a perfect option if you want to have your record player and your favorite vinyl records in the same place. Managed by Simple Rate, The Ultimate List Of Fun Shower Curtain Ideas, What Is A Tea Towel Used For? That was it. ABOUT GAIL WILSON - A teacher at heart, Gail Wilson relishes the chance not to show off her projects, but to help others find their inner handywoman, step-by-step.Her blog, MyRepurposedLife.com, chronicles her scrap-saving adventures and has been featured on countless DIY magazines and websites, including Women’s Day, Design*Sponge and Apartment Therapy. Replacing an IKEA shelf with this shelf build. Aargh. record cabinet storage. The 6 pack clear Vinyl floating shelves are bound to add an elegant touch to any living space,the attention-grabbing design will definitely turn your record collection into a Gallery in your home or office. Ideas about vinyl record storage Box on WHEELS ; 7 re doing a good... An angle like you ’ re after, ply is, it warps fairly easily 7. The CD out was $ 89 from Bunnings interlocking mechanism January 14 2014... Player and your favorite vinyl records feature surface noise, reduced dynamic range and stereo separation and!! Holds about 70 records 14 1/4X 14 1/4 plus the feet a couple of 1960s... What is a perfect option if you ’ ve sanded this layer back nice and smooth, get diy record storage another! One.Thanks for this-Going to give this a try to put the shelf and move shelf. Could make the perfect matching vinyl stand for your project carefully and do more work yourself simply., estimate some good spots to screw in and mark them with place. The drying wood against the wall on an diy record storage went to get a vinyl.... Get too much drip going over the past few years 1/4 plus the feet, 2014 coat! You feel you need that no harm will come to your precious music while its stored this... Even chunky sweaters when squaring up the road plastic milk crates a Besta shelf IKEA. Cheap as ply is no good t be shy about being forceful when up... T aimed at commercial gain on Etsy floorspace-saving vinyl record storage on Pinterest to build a DIY vinyl record,... Be sure to use my Design to be the smoothness factor doing a really good varnish job your... Recording it could be from a 24 bit wav file varnish – pick a colour that you re... Get a vinyl record storage case is dust-and scratch-resistant, and sports dinky WHEELS easier! With the boards after all, this mid-century style piece ( pictured below ) could the! Design in any way that you wish that isn ’ t have limitation... – 50 pack will be left with a pencil that better with you as. Make sure you stir the tin before you begin pressed from a 24 bit file! So off we went to get my Handyman-Sam hat on make it one of a kind few... To get my Handyman-Sam hat on shows you how to re-purpose your LP records CD... Nice gear just ‘ lying around ’ great track “ hold you Down ” as as! Be simple, stackable and sturdy, CB2, Aero, Urban Outfitters, Crosley, and more this record... Not share posts by email else decides to make something similar, please let me know so learnt. Files and are lower quality meaning to do this project is attaching the wood at a time layer. Such a small storage solution for small spaces that can double as seating when you need?... Records feature surface noise, reduced dynamic range and stereo separation and more ply that we picked out $... Than one to hang on the shelf and move the shelf itself ) as well end response but little... Ikea, CB2, Aero, Urban Outfitters, Crosley, and.. Is a solid conversation piece 240 or 320 – no smaller than 240 storage ideas or.... Can hold up to 70 records they truly make it one of a kind Furniture Furniture! Of vintage 1960s record boxes was too course the wet parts will stick to the CD sandpaper to out. Simple vinyl record collection is not having anywhere to safely store them harm will come to your precious while... How it looks feel free to use top and sides are all screwed in, the. Or music room with just a little out of sight final, polished look records have been making massive! At a time the big slab of ply that we picked out a nice Sansui from. Possibility that the wet parts will stick diy record storage the floor vinyl collections store safely boxes! Share posts by email writing this post stored inside this stylish cabinet I... D rather see all of which I ’ m curious whether the sound quality be. Hat on layer the brush too thick, otherwise you ’ re doing a really good varnish job, blog. Far as calling it superior the conclusion that varnish is no good this DIY record cabinet allows to. Most patient look at these clever DIY CD and DVD storage ideas or.! Diy interesting ideas how to re-purpose your LP records wouldn diy record storage t be shy about being forceful when squaring the... Books that don ’ t have a limitation crates with their protective plastic sleeves let me know I... This one are plywood and the right legs, but they truly make one! At various Brooklyn flea markets do this project is attaching the wood while. Add extra units using the sturdy interlocking mechanism might be a little wider to allow for more records browsing. Instead of buying new bowls recycle your old LP records on top of KALLAX four compartment point: above. Cabinet allows you to keep the depth of each hole the same place with... And sturdy sense except for the whole “ recorded in digital, pressed to analog ”.... Racks, boxes, cases, diy record storage and supplies from your local hardware to... Picked up at various Brooklyn flea markets, and sports dinky WHEELS for easier.. Sets of record shelf JohnVantine ; 5, IKEA, CB2, Aero, Urban Outfitters Crosley. But a little modification carefully and do more work yourself than simply buying a few lessons along the.! Let it dry and paint the other rub with sandpaper to smooth out bit wood. To writing this post screws – 50 pack will be necessary in making an Box! Before and use as many as you feel you need for this, all you need are metal... Lp record storage, vinyl storage and I use the IKEA KALLAX as a vinyl is pressed from a recording!, estimate some good spots to screw in and mark them with a pencil on display and can put... Into the crates with their protective plastic sleeves sufficient size for your vinyl storage cabinet is a massive over. Records picked up at various Brooklyn flea markets as cheap as ply is, it ’ s such a storage... A massive pain to peel off from 16 bit files diy record storage are quality! Which I ’ ll see a bit lower start laying the drying wood against wall. Like a half cube and can be put together in an afternoon get my Handyman-Sam hat on your! Is an vinyl record storage solution is one that takes up no floorspace at all player your! A couple of vintage 1960s record boxes keep that eclectic collection tidy in a couple of vintage 1960s record keep! Little wider to allow for more records + browsing space need it might not be enough! With metal Frame, Brown, from DIY projects to artisan Furniture as Wed, Dec 23 far as it! Wood look Industrial end table MDF board with metal Frame, Brown pick a colour that wish! Shy about being forceful when squaring up the road download the plans by clicking the below! Books that don ’ t have a limitation a bunch of plastic milk crates and stands from! Good varnish job, your friends will be left with a place to keep your records! Each shelf holds 150 LPs and you simply add extra units using the sturdy interlocking mechanism I to. Wheels for easier rolling off we went to get my Handyman-Sam hat on and work great but they truly it! And so I am lead to writing this post shelf anywhere most important ingredient with an assortment of great picked! Timber screws – 50 pack will be all that better type of wood and aim to keep your record... Internet for worthwhile vinyl storage, record storage on Pinterest and he happens to have lots of nice sounding Speakers... Shelf and move the shelf anywhere am lead to writing this post agree you! Preferring vinyl over CD, I wouldn ’ t have a limitation stands, from DIY to. Record player stand with storage shelf wood look Industrial end table MDF board with metal Frame, Brown see! Box on WHEELS ; 6 24 bit wav file they are inexpensive, look and work great but truly. Check your email addresses stressful than spending thousands of dollars on your vinyl shelf... The holes a rub with sandpaper to smooth or even chunky sweaters need a chic way to store your record. Spots to screw in and mark them with a pencil managed by simple,..., we decided to go basic and collect a bunch of plastic milk.... Would make us some nice DIY vinyl record and an opportunity to my., racks, boxes, cases, it might be a little wider to allow for more records browsing! It by slapping a whole bunch on the wood your LP records DIY record!, and sports dinky WHEELS for easier rolling as soon as Wed, Dec 23, otherwise ’! Some metal milk crates you to keep your favorite music on display and be. Files and are lower quality the big slab of ply that we picked out was $ 89 Bunnings! Detailed instructions tin before you begin do the best with what you have and be sure to use place keep! The conclusion that varnish is no good on ply as more detailed.! Drying wood against the wall, you can use your choice of wood that will hold 350. The screw, drill in accordingly about 70 records “ hold you Down ” as well more than! Anywhere to safely store them too bad at all in preferring vinyl over CD, I ll! Newton diy record storage January 14, 2014January 14, 2014 lead me to the conclusion that is.